Silvertown Studio Policies and FAQ
- Must be 18 to attend classes.
- Payment is required at the time of registration.
- Space in our classes is limited. Please register early to ensure your seat in our class!
- Please show respect to your fellow students and teacher by arriving on time. We cannot allow you to join the class if you are more than 15 minutes late.
- In order to keep our classes running and to maintain our teacher to student ratio we must impose a cancellation policy. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
- There are no refunds for canceling registration for an entire course nor for missing a class.
- If you cancel a course registration at least 1 week in advance you may ask to credit your registration to a different session. Please contact us for arrangements. If it is less than a week before the course begins, we will not have time to fill the spot and so cannot transfer the registration.
- If you cannot attend and the course begins in less than a week, if you wish, you may send a friend in your place. Please contact us for arrangements.
- If you do need to cancel your course registration, please do so as soon as possible so we can contact one of the students patiently waiting for an opening.
- All classes are subject to cancellation or rescheduling by Silvertown due to insufficient enrollment. If we must cancel a class we will notify you no fewer than 3 days before the class is scheduled; you will have the option of a refund or a transfer of credit to a future open session of your choice.
How are your classes different from other sewing classes in town?
There are many wonderful places to learn how to sew around the city. Silvertown Skirt Academy not only teaches sewing, but also how to make skirt patterns from scratch that fit YOU. We will take your measurements in class and use those numbers, some rulers, pencils, and paper to whip up the building blocks for all your future skirt confections.
When do you offer classes?
Our classes are offered on weeknights starting at 6pm and weekends starting at 9am or 2 pm. Some classes are one session, some three or four. Please check our schedule page for specific class times.
How many students are in a class?
Our classes are limited to a mere 3-4 students, depending on the skirt. Almost a semi-private lesson!
Can’t you just squeeze me into a full class?
Our studio is charming and intimate and you will need space for drafting, cutting, and sewing as we teach you to create your skirt patterns from scratch. For your benefit it is essential to keep our student-to-workspace and student-to-instructor ratios low. Be sure to sign up early to avoid classes being full!
Do I have to have a machine to bring to class?
Certainly not! If you have one you’d like to bring to get to know it better, please do (and let us know!), but we have plenty of machines to go around.
I’ve never used a sewing machine before. What class do you recommend I take?
The Damsel starts at the beginning – a very good place to start! Even if you have some experience and familiarity with the sewing machine this class is an excellent (and required) refresher.
Caroline, I took your Sewing Techniques class at SAIC, do I really have to take the Damsel intro class?
Email me; we’ll work it out!
What should I wear?
Sewing involves a surprising amount of standing (pressing is the better half of sewing) so comfortable shoes are a good idea. Also, because the skirts we will be making are crafted to your measurements, be aware we will need to take those measurements. Less bulky = more accurate measurements.
Is there anything I need to bring to class?
Any materials you would need to bring to the first class will be specified in the class description.
Where can I find fabric and supplies?
Here is a listing of a few Chicago options:
Fishman’s Fabrics: 1101 South Desplaines Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607
Hancock Fabrics: 6101 N Broadway St, Chicago, IL 60660
Joann Fabrics: 2639 North Elston Avenue, Chicago, IL 60647
Leonard Adler (for supplies): 3018 West Montrose Avenue, Chicago, IL 60618
Textile Discount Outlet: 2121 21st Street, Chicago, IL 60608
Vogue Fabrics: 623 West Roosevelt Road Chicago, IL 60607
Vogue Fabrics: 718 Main Street, Evanston, IL 60202
Where are you located?
5220 North Damen, just north of Foster in the sweetest, little, storefront studio.
Which is the closest CTA stop?
Damen on the Brown Line. Once off the train it is about a 15 minute walk straight up Damen, or you can catch the #50 Damen bus outside the station and alight at the Foster stop. Another option is to take the Red Line to Berwyn and then transfer to the #92 Foster bus heading west, disembark at Damen, and we are just up the street.
Where can I park?
Damen and Foster have street parking options, and the majority of the side streets are not permit parking.